by Tiffany Cross
I don't know why, but lately I've been so homesick I can barely stand it. I miss so many things about my Texas home -- so, just to name a few:
1. Texas pride -- There's no other state I've ever been to that is as proud as Texas.
2. The food. No other food is like Texas food. ANYWHERE, EVER, PERIOD. Never has been, never will be.
3. The music. Texas is light years ahead of everyone else on the music scene. We have always loved Willie. I don't care what you say about him, if you don't love Willie, you aren't true Texan!
4. The history. Where do I start? I could talk about Texas history all day. And I won't even go into my own family Texas history that dates back to what seems like the beginning of time.
5. Friends and family. That's what it's all about there. It's where people are loyal to each other till the end -- no if's, and's or but's about it.
6. Cowboys! And I mean real cowboys who would never wear anything but Wranglers and Stetsons. I loved a real cowboy once, and once you've loved a cowboy you've got 'em under your skin forever.
7. Rodeos. Nowhere else would a man risk 8 seconds of his life on a bull simply because he loves what he does (and not for the money)!
8. Barbecues. Texas doesn't have parties; Texas has barbecues. And barbecues are for every occasion; it's always acceptable, no black tie necessary.
9. Some of the most beautiful country in America. From the ocean, to the hills, to the piney woods of East Texas . . . and everything in between.
10. Chivalry is not dead in Texas. And neither is friendliness. It's nothing to pass someone and have them wave or ask you how you're doing, and really want to know the answer.
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you'll never take Texas out of the girl!
Want to leave a comment on Tiffany’s essay?
Please visit our Message Board
or write Ye Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to USADEEPSOUTH - I index page
Back to USADEEPSOUTH - II index page